Taking the time to build an effective backlink strategy for your blog is another essential part of your blog SEO strategy.
Backlinks are basically when another site links back to your site. Google likes to see backlinks, especially from sites that are relevant to your site. For example, if you run a real estate sales website – getting a backlink from your main brokers site would be a bonus. Getting a backlink from your local real estate board would be another bonus, and getting a backlink from a national real estate organization would be a huge bonus.
Here are some frequently asked questions about backlinks:
- Should you ask for backlinks? For sure, you can.
- Should you submit your site to directories? Yes most definitely.
- Should you write articles relevant to your niche and post them to article banks? Yes great idea.
- Should you write and post compelling content to your blog on a regular basis? Yes this is your goal.
How do I start building a backlink strategy for my blog?
- Start by creating a list of the steps that you feel you would like to take. Try creating a Google Spreadsheet in Google Docs.
- Schedule time to work on each task. Most bloggers have a hard time finding the time to blog let alone building a backlink strategy right? If you schedule even 5 minutes each week to work on your strategy you will be off to a good start.
- Keep in mind that every time you connect with other bloggers, comment on their blogs and perhaps participate in a blog carnival you are essentially working on your backlink strategy.
- Ensure you have Google Analytics setup for your blog and learn how to Discover Links Using Google Analytics New Backlink URL Report.
- Within your Google Webmaster Tools account Google provides a backlink tool for site owners to learn how to discover your links.
Use the Alexa tool I talked about in the previous post to view how many “sites are linking in”.This tool is now deprecated!
By implementing these monitoring tools and slowly checking off tasks on your backlink strategy spreadsheet you are sure to be off to a great start!
In the meantime, watch this video of Matt Cutts as he answers the infamous question: “What are some effective techniques for building links”?
What techniques have worked for you and your blog in terms of backlink building?